26 March 2006

Scotland the slave

Colin writes: As a private hire cab driver I am saddened to see Scotland move closer to a police state with the introduction of the excessively draconian anti-smoking laws. Not only will my takings be decimated as people shun pubs and restaurants but I am faced with a fine if I smoke in my cab.

As a responsible smoker, I never smoke with a passenger on board and if I am having a cigarette in the rank whilst waiting for work, I always open all the windows to clear the cab en-route to my hire. Now it seems as my car, which is a licensed private hire, is my place of work, I am not allowed to smoke in it even when off duty, so if I decide to go for a run to Oban fishing I can't even smoke in my car when it's being used as a private car.

Even more Pythonesque, if I need a cigarette whilst working I must stand at least 5 feet away from the entrance to my car, with cash being carried. This makes the cab drivers even more vulnerable to assault and robbery. Please also bear in mind that the main cancer causing agent in a cigarette is also present in car exhaust fumes, in actual fact one lungful of a car exhaust is equivalent to 20 cigarettes, this has more to do with passive cancer than a cigarette ever had.

Contact your MSP and voice your protest. We are organising industrial action to support a repeal for private use in the cab trade.

2 Comments:

At 28/3/06 17:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live and work in Scotland. My job is that of cook on board a state owned ferry. My job involves living aboard the ship and a work pattern of two weeks on, two weeks off means this is my home for 50% of my time.

As a union rep I have paid close attention to the company's no smoking policy which was introduced last year. This prohibited smoking in communal areas onboard which I find perfectly acceptable and reasonable. With the introduction of legislation on Sunday I have been told that smoking in my own personal cabin has been prohibited.

If I was to commit a crime and be sent to prison I could smoke in my cell. I could smoke in the back of the police car that takes me there. I think that not being able to smoke in what is effectively my home is a serious breach of my human rights.

 
At 28/3/06 20:52, Blogger vincent1 said...

Thomas, there is no logic really to this carry on and ban it brigade. NO compromise, just scaremongering. If you need petitions go to www.thebigdebate.org site, lots going on over there, free to register

 

Post a Comment

<< Home