17 February 2006

Threat to jobs

Lin writes: This is the first time I've logged on to this site and boy what an eyeopener it has been. The nasty comments from the 'non smokers' are beyond belief, very infantile (Voice of the anti-smoker)! Don't you all realise who the biggest losers are going to be? Those who lose their jobs because the breweries profits go down.

I work in the industry and we had a total ban brought into force a couple of years ago. Our income went down by £24,000 in the first 12 months and has been steadily declining ever since, so much so that we will be closing our bar very soon with the loss of jobs.

I am a smoker and like many have always been considerate of non smokers. I only wish that this had been reciprocated. I don't wish to inflict my 'fumes' on anyone. All I ask is an area in which I can indulge and that the 'anti smokers' KEEP OUT! Is that too much to ask?

2 Comments:

At 20/2/06 17:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lin, I do sympathise with you and I agree, all us smokers wanted was a place to indulge in, away from the non smokers and the anti's.

Whenever there are split areas, have you noticed how full (often to bursting) the smoking area is and how empty the non smoking is?

I don't know how places like Gala Bingo will fare. When we go, which is usually a Sunday or Friday night, it is 'spot a spare seat' in the smoking section and 'spot a life form' in the non smoking section. Other smaller bingo clubs that we occasionally visit are exactly the same!

I'm utterly convinced that all the non smokers and anti smokers have not been boycotting pubs, clubs, cafes', bingo halls and the like all these years, so where the hell is the revenue going to come from? The anti's in particular and probably some of the non smokers appear too tight to go out and spend money in these places, certainly on a regular basis.

Good luck to you, anyway. I do hope you manage to keep your job, despite everything. I worry for my daughter too, as she is also in the pub trade.

 
At 22/2/06 23:56, Blogger vincent1 said...

Ventilation not segregation is needed. ASH have been so severe in their advertising campaign, stopping bullies in school has to be difficult if you cannot stop it at a higher level. The ASH campaign just reeks of bullies. No compromise at all. I have very nice friends who do not smoke so I will not tar non-smokers with this same brush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home